Friday, March 7, 2008
How many bones do we have???
Ever wondered how many bones our body is made of?..sorry no price for guessing..its about 206!!...typically at birth its about 350 and as we grow, due to unison of the bones the number decreases attaining constant number of about 206 in adults!...
Here is the breakdown:
- 28 skull bones (8 cranial, 14 facial, and 6 ear bones); !!!!!!
- the horseshoe-shaped hyoid bone of the neck;
- 26 vertebrae-back bone! (7 cervical or neck, 12 thorax, 5 lumbar or loins, the sacrum which is five fused vertebrae, and the coccyx, our vestigial tail, which is four fused vertebrae);
- 24 ribs plus the sternum(breastbone); the shoulder girdle [2 clavicles(collar bone), the most frequently fractured bone in the body, and 2 scapulae];
- the pelvic girdle[hip] (2 fused bones);
- 30 bones in our arms and legs (a total of 120);
- There are also a few partial bones, ranging from 8-18 in number, which are related to joints
so next time when you see a person try counting them!...lol